Why Bleach Isn’t an Effective Mold Remover
Most households have a bottle of chlorine bleach on hand that is designated for a host of uses such as cleaning, laundry or a disinfectant. This bleach is a combination of hypochlorite, chlorine and water.
As a disinfectant, chlorine bleach will kill many household molds, but not all of them. This is the reason that bleach is not recommended in removing mold from walls According to the Harvard School of Public Health, bleach will only kill 50% of mold growth on surfaces such as wallboard (sheet rock, plaster, etc.).
It can also be considered a dangerous substance if not used correctly.
This is why it is so important to leave mold remediation to professionals, who have the proper tools and products to remove mold. Attempting to remove mold yourself may result in mold spores being released and finding a foothold elsewhere in the home. Also cleaning agents will not effectively remove all the mold. In most cases anything affected such as the sheet rock, insulation, carpeting or carpet padding must be cut out and/or removed.
SERVPRO of Eatontown/Long Branch has certified and trained technicians who know how to properly clean and remove mold from your home safely and effectively. If you suspect you have a mold problem give us a call at 732-578-9888.