If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (732) 578-9888

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Mold Myths

1/29/2020 (Permalink)

Mold is one of those words that triggers an alarm - its dangerous and will create health problems are two of the most troubling concerns.

When suspected mold is discovered, it is best left to the professionals to remediate, simply because there are too many variables and mold is tricky. It is also because there are many "untruths" about mold:

Myth 1.)  “All Mold is Dangerous and Unhealthy”

In fact, some kinds of mold make human life better.  Just think of the life saving benefits of penicillin or the delicious taste of bleu cheese on a salad.  These all come from mold.

While it’s true that some molds do cause health problems, the effects of mold on people can vary dramatically from person to person.  Some molds produce allergens that can make life miserable for people sensitive to this allergy, and people with compromised immune systems are also often at greater risk to become sick from repeated mold exposure.

Myth 2.)  “Bleach Kills All Mold Growth”

Many people when they discover mold in their homes immediately reach for the bleach and assume this will solve the problem.  Unfortunately, this is not always the case.

Bleach may kill certain kinds of mold growth, especially on non-porous surfaces.  But bleach has not been proven to be effective on all kinds of mold, and it frequently doesn’t work so well on porous materials such as wood.

In addition, the amount of bleach that may be needed to clean-up a mold problem may in turn pose its own health risks.

Myth 3.)  “If There’s Just a Little Mold, You Don’t Have to Worry”

Many people believe that if they see jut a little mold, they don’t have to worry about it.  Unfortunately, sometimes a little mold is a big problem.

While it is true that mild mold growth may not cause any problems, what you see may not in fact be merely mild growth.  Mold can be like an iceberg where what is visible is only the tip of major growth lurking beneath the surface.

Often times, the first visible signs of mold are just a signal that you have a major mold issue that needs to be remedied.

Myth 4.)  “You Can Clean-Up Mold Yourself with Home Remedies”

According to the EPA, if your mold problem is “less than about 10 square feet (less than roughly a 3 ft. by 3 ft. patch), in most cases, you can handle the job yourself.” However, as was just discussed, many times the mold you see is just the surface of a larger underlying problem.

If you even suspect that your mold problem may be larger than 10 square feet, or you’ve been experiencing health symptoms that may be related to mold exposure, you should bring in a professional mold remediation service provider as soon as you can.

SERVPRO of Eatontown/Long Branch has the training and equipment necessary to thoroughly inspect and address any mold issues you may encounter. We’ve helped many homes and businesses in the community with mold problems both large and small, including providing 24/7 emergency services.

Other News

View Recent Posts