SERVPRO Wants to Make Sure You’re Prepared for Storms
Because weather can be so volatile, especially with the upcoming hurricane season, it’s important be prepared in advance. Here at SERVPRO of Eatontown / Long Branch we’ve seen firsthand how destructive storm damage can be, and we want to make sure everyone in this community knows what they can do before, during, and after a storm to help protect your family and your property in case of a storm emergency.
Here’s a helpful guide so you can be prepared when a storm is in the forecast:
- Make sure you’re ready with a Disaster Preparation Plan. Determine a meeting place away from your home or commercial building and plan escape routes from each room. Practice the plan with everyone, so there won’t be any question what to do in an emergency.
- Put together an Emergency Supply Kit. Some good items to include are water, non-perishable food, extra medications, a flashlight, batteries, copies of your personal documents, a blanket, a first aid kit, and cash.
- Check that your home or commercial building is in good condition to withstand a strong storm. Check your roof now for loose shingles and make sure your doors, windows, and basement are waterproof.
- During a storm, make sure all the windows and doors have been securely shut. Keep away from windows in case the glass should break and shatter. If the storm is severe, you may want to stay in the basement if you have one, or an interior room.
- If you go outside, be careful of moving water, because just a few inches of rapidly flowing water can be enough to sweep a person off their feet. If you can, try to stay on higher ground and keep away from low lying areas where deep flooding is more likely.
- Once the storm is over, make sure everyone is ok and start to check your property for any damage. Don’t forget the maxim “Safety First” as flooding can cause potential hazards, including risks of falling, contamination, and electrocution.
- Make a list of any lost or damaged items, and take photos to document the extent of the damage.
Don’t forget, any storm can happen suddenly, so now is the best time to plan and act. And, if you do require emergency flood repair or water damage restoration, rest assured that SERVPRO of Eatontown / Long Branch is always here to help. We’re known for being “faster to any disaster” with the advanced technicians and equipment needed to restore your property so that it’s like new. We can even help you work with your insurance provider.